Masai Village

Masai Village

Monday, August 4, 2014

Karen Blixen Museum

Maybe there is something wrong with me but I just didn't "get" the Karen Blixen Museum. My take away was this woman married a man for his title, he cheated on her, she didn't want a divorce because she didn't want to lose her title. She fell in love with a man who I suppose was as hot as Robert Redford but they never married. He died in a plane crash and she buried him on a mountain behind her house so she could sit on her porch and stare at his grave.

 Before she split from her husband she contracted syphilis which she may or may have not contracted from him. She liked to hunt lions and big game not for food but sport. She tried to farm coffee in an area where coffee won't grow. At one point she employed 800 people but eventually she went bankrupt and returned to Denmark. If there is a hero in this story I'm not seeing it. I was impressed by the number of people who are employed at the museum. I guess that should count for something. I am going to re-read Out of Africa to see if I am totally off base.

She was supposed to receive the Nobel Prize in literature but died before it could be awarded so it went to John Steinbeck. (personally I think he is a fabulous author.)

The museum was pretty but boring. Our guide was very pleasant.

There were no cameras allowed inside the museum. No biggie, the most interesting there were the pants worn by Robert Redford during the movie "Out of Africa."

The kids had fun running around the yard.



No comments:

Post a Comment